Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Street Festival: Salsa on St. Clair











Wearing: +Rachel roy romper | Coach sandals | +Rayban Sunglasses 

If I were to describe Toronto with one word, I would say "diverse".  There are so many different cultures, religions and nationalities that populate Toronto, but occasions like this bring most of us together in order to celebrate and experience the individuality of one's culture.  A few weeks ago on a hot humid day, I headed down to "Salsa on St. Clair" with some of my friends.  You wouldn't believe how hot it was that day, but everywhere we turned there's was salsa/meregue playing (instrumentally or through large speakers) and people dancing.  Nothing was going to stop them from salsa-ing, not even their own sweat.  We satisfied our cravings, by trying any food stands we felt looked authentic enough to taste.  Churros was of course one of the choices.  I don't think I could ever pass a Churros stand straight by, even if I tried.  One of the things that I enjoyed most was the El Salvadorian Pupusas.  The stand was literallya a Pupusa assembly line  and the workers were elderly El Salvadorian women, who barely spoke English, but boy were they efficient! (Henry Ford would be proud).  The Pupusas, which are like a fried tortilla with pork and cheese filling (con queso y carne en Espanol), were simply delicious.  We cooled off with frozen fruit Popsicles, the coconut chunks on mine were irresistible so I shared another one with the boyfriend; this time guava flavour.  The evening ended with a "carnivale"-like parade with the accompaniment of drums and cymbals and costumed participants dancing down St. Clair.

So purposely straying away from the focus of what I wore that day, because I was head to toe dressed in black.  Yes, you can only imagaine! Fourty degree weather and in all black... Well let's just say I was mighty jealous of the ladies in short shorts, crop tops and light coloured, flowy dresses.  

No comments: